Gravette Public Schools
Position Title: Child Nutrition Worker
Department: School Services
Reports To: Food Service Director
Evaluated By: Food Service Director
PURPOSE OF JOB: Prepare and serve food items to students and/or school personnel as well as maintaining food service facilities in a safe and sanitary condition. Further descriptions related to specific content area may apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive.
Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Arranges food and beverage items for the purpose of serving them to students and staff in an efficient manner.
- Cleans utensils, equipment, storage area, food preparation and serving areas for the purpose of
maintaining required sanitary conditions.
- Maintains equipment, storage, food preparation and serving areas in a sanitary condition for the purpose of complying with current health standards.
- Monitors kitchen and cafeteria areas for the purpose of ensuring a safe and sanitary working environment.
- Performs functions of other nutritional service positions, as requested by supervisor for the purpose of ensuring adequate staff coverage within site nutritional service operations.
- Prepares ready-to-eat food items and beverages for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional and projected meal requirements for onsite and/or offsite school kitchens.
- Records kitchen and/or food related data (e.g. food temperatures, milk counts, inventories) for the purpose of maintaining accurate records.
- Relocates a variety of food and/or kitchen items (e.g. panning items from dish to dish, leftovers, dishes, salad bar items) for the purpose of condensing and/or consolidating appropriate materials, supplies and/or equipment to ensure a safe, well organized working environment.
- Reports equipment malfunctions to supervisor for repair and/or replacement.
- Serves one or more items.
- Unloads food, materials, and/or supplies from delivery trucks.
Required performing single, non-technical tasks using existing skills. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: handling hazardous materials; using equipment used in a kitchen setting; operating standard office equipment; adhering to safety practices; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
Required performing basic math; reading and following instructions; and understanding multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: health standards and hazards; methods of industrial cleaning; quantity cooking; safety practices and procedures; methods of preparation, handling and storage of food in quantity; and proper maintenance and operation of modern equipment.
Required to schedule activities, compare and analyze data, and use job-related equipment. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize job-related equipment. Some problem solving may be required to identify issues and select action plans. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; displaying mechanical aptitude; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with detailed information/data; and working with frequent interruptions.
- Participates in unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. as required for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Balances cash drawer at end of day for the purpose of ensuring the reconciliation with meal counts and payments.
- Collects payments for meals at cash register for the purpose of ensuring the appropriate payments are collected at time of purchase.
- Inspects food items and/or supplies for the purpose of verifying quantity, quality and specifications of orders and/or complying with mandated health standards.
- Inventories food, condiments and supplies for the purpose of ensuring availability of items required for meeting projected menu requirements.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary to be established by the Gravette School Board.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on
Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Job related experience is preferred but not required. High School Diploma preferred but not required.
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance, Tuberculosis Clearance.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 30% walking, and 65% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and in hazardous conditions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general information. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
Requires the ability to record and deliver information to supervisors and officials; to explain procedures
and policies; and to follow verbal and written instructions, guidelines and objectives.
Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes in using departmentally-related equipment.