Bryant School District
Paraprofessional - Instructional
Department: Elementary, Middle School, Junior High, or High School
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Building Administrator
Amount of Travel Required: None
Job Type: Regular
Positions Supervised: None
Work Schedule: 180-day contract. Daily hours are determined by length of contract and include a 30-minute lunch and two 15-minute breaks.
Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to identified students. Serve in a position for which a teacher has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical and mental disabilities.
• Supervise students in classrooms, halls, cafeterias, school yards, and gymnasiums, or on field trips.
• Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
• Tutor and assist children individually or in small groups to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
• Enforce administration policies and rules governing students.
• Discuss assigned duties with classroom teachers to coordinate instructional efforts.
• Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials to prevent injuries and damage.
• Observe students' performance, and record relevant data to assess progress.
• Present subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of teachers, using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods.
• Prepare lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations.
• Distribute teaching materials such as textbooks, workbooks, papers, and pencils to students.
• Attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required.
• Laminate teaching materials to increase their durability under repeated use.
• Carry out therapeutic regimens such as behavior modification and personal development programs, under the supervision of special education instructors, psychologists, or speech-language pathologists.
• Assist in bus loading and unloading.
• Distribute tests and homework assignments and collect them when they are completed.
• Assist teachers as needed to support student activities.
• Monitor classroom viewing of live or recorded virtual courses, when applicable.
• Supervise In School Suspension (ISS) where applicable.
• Report suspected bullying to building principal or designee as required by Arkansas law and district policies.
• Report to the proper authorities any cases of suspected child endangerment, neglect, or abuse.
• Adhere to all policies of the District.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Building Administrator.
• Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
• Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
• Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
• Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
• Energetic - Ability to work at a sustained pace and produce quality work.
• Enthusiastic - Ability to bring energy to the performance of a task.
• Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
• Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others.
• Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
• Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
• Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
• Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
• Loyal - The trait of feeling a sense of duty to the employer.
• Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
• Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
• Punctuality - Ability to report to work on time on a day-to-day basis.
• Regular attendance - Exhibiting regular attendance in order to perform duties in a satisfactory manner.
• Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
• Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
• Tactful - Ability to show consideration for and maintain good relations with others.
• Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED): Required
Associate's Degree (two year college or technical school): Preferred
A passing score on the Paraprofessional Proficiency Assessment will substitute for the Associate degree requirement.
Experience: No prior experience necessary
Computer Skills: Shall be able to demonstrate an acceptable level of proficiency with computers and programs associated with the position.
Other Requirements: 1. Successful completion of pre-employment background checks.
2. Appropriate personal and professional conduct at all times while around students and other staff members.
3. Must meet all state and federal requirements for the position.
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this position.
O (Occasionally) Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Position requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Manually Manipulate C
Reach Outward C
Reach Above Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs F
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
12 lbs or less F
13-25 lbs F
26-40 lbs O
41-100 lbs N
Other Physical Requirements
• Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth)
• Sense of Sound - Ability to carry on normal conversations.
This position is predominately in an indoor environment but does involve occasional outdoor duties. The indoor sound level varies from very quiet to moderately loud depending on the activities taking place.
The Human Resources Department has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Bryant School District reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the District may deem appropriate.
It is the policy of the Bryant School District not to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices.