Position Title: School Nurse (2020-2021 SY)
Department: Building Level-Pinewood Elementary
Reports To: Principal
Closing: Until filled
SUMMARY: The role of the school nurse is to maintain/improve the health of students, thus enabling them to profit fully from their educational experiences; and, to promote optimum health status and lifestyles for all students through the joint efforts of the home, school and community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the development and implementation of a health program, and maintenance of a safe and healthful environment.
- Disseminates health education information to teachers, parents and students, and provides direct classroom instruction when needed.
- Assists in the development of health education curriculum.
- Makes appropriate health appraisals of students referred and provides health counseling to students and their parents when necessary.
- Provides vision, auditory and scoliosis screening of students in compliance with health screening mandates and conducts follow-up of all deficiencies by assisting parents in making plans for further examinations and correction.
- Keeps accurate records of activities at assigned schools and assist in establishing and maintaining necessary student health records.
- Records the results of health screenings and other significant health information in cumulative records.
- Completes a health/development evaluation on those students referred to special education when specified in an assessment plan.
- Serves as a member of the Individualized Education Plan team to report results of health/development evaluations and provide health related information.
- Assists in the control and prevention of communicable disease by providing information to staff, students and parents about protective measures against communicable disease.
- Establishes contact with appropriate members of the medical community as part of follow-up procedures of chronic and communicable disease cases.
- Works with and acts as liaison to school health committees, county health officials and other agencies concerned with the health and welfare of students.
- Provides emergency care for serious accidents and illnesses which occur at school.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and or EXERIENCE: Registered nurse or licensed practical nurse with first aid and CPR certification is required. Pediactric experience preferred for those assigned to the elementary schools or middle school.
The Jacksonville North Pulaski School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the Jacksonville North Pulaski School District not to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin or disability in its educational programs, activities or employment practices.