MAGNOLIA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Magnolia, Arkansas 71754
JOB TITLE: SPECIAL EDUCATION DESIGNEE
Reports To: Superintendent of Schools
Primary Purpose: Represents the District’s special education instructional program as designee to ensure provision of needed services for special needs students. Works to provide individualized education plans to meet
the needs of all special education students and ensure compliance with all state, federal and local requirements.
Valid Arkansas teaching certificate with special education endorsement
Understanding of the individual needs of special needs students
Ability to communicate with all levels of special needs students and their parents
Ability to interpret policy, procedures and data
Ability to administer achievement tests and interpret results
Ability to coordinate District functions
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Five years teaching experience in special education
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Instructional and Program Management
- Knowledgeable of instructional and curriculum services to meet students’ needs.
- Plans, implements and evaluates a student’s initial and three year evaluations with teachers and principals, including learning objectives, instructional strategies and assessment techniques.
- Applies research and data to improve the content, sequence and outcomes of the teaching-learning process.
- Works with appropriate staff to develop, maintain and revise curriculum documents based on systematic review and analysis.
- Involves instructional staff in evaluating and selecting instructional materials to meet student learning needs.
- Ensures the use of technology in the teaching-learning process.
- Plans the necessary time, resources and materials to support accomplishment of educational goals.
- Ensures that District goals and objectives are developed using collaborative processes and problem-solving techniques when appropriate.
- Participates in the District-level decision-making process to establish and review the District’s goals and objectives and major classroom instructional programs of the District.
- Actively supports the efforts of others to achieve District goals and objectives and campus performance objectives (academic excellence indicators).
- Obtains and uses evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to examine curriculum and instructional program effectiveness.
- Secures consultants, specialists and other community resources to assist principals and instructional staff in attaining objectives.
- Provides effective staff development activities that incorporate the mission of the District, program evaluation outcomes and input from teachers and others.
Policy, Reports and Law
- Implements the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule and local board policy in curriculum and instruction area.
- Compiles, maintains and presents all reports, records and other documents required.
- Assists with recruitment, selection and training of personnel and makes sound recommendations relative to personnel placement, assignment, retention, discipline and dismissal.
- Assists with the implementation of the designated teacher appraisal system; may serve as second appraiser.
1. Provides for two-way communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents and community.
2. Demonstrates skill in conflict resolution with administrators, parents, teachers, staff and community.
3. Monitors professional research and disseminates ideas and information to other professionals.
- Articulates the District’s mission, instructional philosophy, and curriculum implementation strategies to the community and solicits its support in realizing mission.
- Demonstrates awareness of District-community needs and initiates activities to meet those needs.
- Demonstrates use of appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.