Jacksonville North Pulaski School District
Position Title: Special Education Para-Educator(1 to 1)
Department: Building Level
Reports To: Building Principal
Contract: 2021-22 School Year
Closing: Until Filled
SUMMARY: To aid and support teachers and other licensed personnel in implementing the instructional program and related services for students with disabilities. Specific responsibility for assisting in the supervision, care, and instruction of students with special needs in a self-contained classroom.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements instructional activities with students as directed by the teacher/building principal in school and community sites.
- Assists in the preparation of lesson plans, instructional materials, and data collection.
- Assumes responsibility for being prepared to perform instructional duties as prescribed.
- Acquires knowledge of the curriculum content of the classes in which he/she assists.
- Implements behavior management techniques as directed by teacher/building principal.
- Assists with the physical needs including (but not limited to) feeding, toileting, dressing, catheterization, physical management, etc. of the students. Some heavy lifting of students is required.
- Administers medications and other medical supports as prescribed and directed by the school nurse.
- Completes daily work schedules as assigned by the teacher/principal.
- Assists the teacher with the maintenance of the classroom.
- Assists with duties such as lunchroom, recess, bus, etc.
- Escorts student (e.g. bathroom, classroom, community etc.…) for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and safe arrival to and/or from a destination.
- Supervises and escorts the student during any and all emergency drills or during actual emergencies for the purpose of providing a safe learning environment.
- Participates in inservices as directed.
- Knows Board of Education policies, district and school guidelines, regulations and adhere to the same.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/LICENSURE/EXPERIENCE: Associate Degree or higher; successful Para Pro Assessment Exam. Education or experience in field related to working with special needs students.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Successful completion of pre-employment background checks. Appropriate personal and professional conduct at all times around students, other staff members and the general public.
The Jacksonville North Pulaski School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the Jacksonville North Pulaski School District not to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin or disability in its educational programs, activities or employment practices.