Click Here to Apply
Qualifications: Arkansas Teacher Licensure, JAG Specialist Endorsement must be obtained if not already in place.
Reports To: Principal
Job Goals: Identifies, recruits, and instructs students deemed to have a high degree of difficulty of being promoted to the next grade, achieving graduation and/or making a successful transition from school to a quality entry-level job and/or pursue a postsecondary education leading to career advancement opportunities.
Essential Functions as the JAG Specialist
1. Provides appropriate curriculum and ensures students achieve specific JAG competencies through classroom instruction; teaches through a variety of methods including lecture, hands-on activities, and team teaching; tailors the program and teaching methods for the needs of each specific student, and implements an intervention strategy for each individual.
2. Ensures an appropriate pool of students by directly recruiting students, and obtaining referrals from an Advisory Committee, school personnel, and parents; holds interviews with prospective candidates and those making referrals to determine, using JAG guidelines, the appropriateness of the prospective student for the program.
3. Administers testing programs including pre-/post-tests and career interest surveys. Establishes and implements a career development plan for all enrolled students.
4. Ensures positive perceptions of the JAG program within schools by developing and maintaining positive, effective working relationships with school personnel including teachers, administrators, students, and members of the Advisory Committee.
5. Advocates for the program and develops a pool of effective community support resources by working with employers, parents, civic groups, and legislators to build awareness of and support for the program; develops job opportunities, participates in public relations activities, attends meetings and speaks to various community groups.
6. Builds appreciation for teamwork, sense of belonging, and commitment to community service among JAG students by organizing and serving as advisor to a JAG Career Association; creates training opportunities through hands-on activities, film presentations, guest speakers, and workshops; assists with civic and social opportunities.
7. Provides students with guidance, counseling, and support within appropriate limits; refers students to additional support services on an as-needed basis; takes responsibility for learning and complying with school policies such as mandated reporting, discipline, attendance, and the like.
8. Complies with all documentation and data entry requirements in a timely fashion including contacts and activities involving students, employers, and other groups; develops and maintains a well-organized filing system.
9. Assists students in finding and maintaining quality employment and/or post-secondary educational programs upon graduation; works closely with students and employers for 12 months after the end of the school year to ensure a satisfactory employment outcome; develops a plan for contacts with non-graduates to ensure effective transition to employment or additional education.
10. Participates in staff, regional, and state-wide meetings, and staff development activities.
In conjunction with the Administrators and staff, ensure that the District’s philosophy of education; educational goals and policies are achieved
Ensure that State and Federal mandates are followed (i.e. affirmative action, special education)
Collaborates with the Administration, staff, students and community to develop an efficient, effective and current curriculum that is aligned with state and federal standards and Board policies
Work with Administration, staff, students and community to acquire needed instructional supplies and equipment
Ensure that all Board approved programs and curriculum are delivered
Establish a consistent classroom; instructional schedule and maintain an orderly learning environment
Monitor the curricular program to ensure that it meets local, state and federal mandates and includes detailed assessment, promotion, retention and reporting procedures
Maintain a curricular program and standards that are designed to meet established graduation requirements and to provide for post-graduation success
Develop and implement procedures to maintain a safe learning environment
In conjunction with the Board, Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, administration, and staff develop and implement a disciplinary policy that meets the requirements of all applicable laws and mandates while preserving the instructional integrity and safety of the classroom
Collect and maintain adequate record of student progress
Plans and coordinates student recognition activities
Schedule all mandated testing as required
Evaluate test data and coordinate an action plan to improve student performance as required
Establish high expectations and standards for behavior and performance
Submit required reports as established by the district
Provide orientation for new students
Plan for and supervise the activities of a paraprofessional, aide or volunteer if assigned
Work cooperatively with peers to deliver needed instructional programs and services to students
In collaborations with administration, develops, implements and maintains instructional budgets
In conjunction with administration, provide for classroom security through the development, implementation and maintenance of a safety plan
Assist in the supervision of the use of facilities by staff, students and community groups as appropriate
Maintain a positive school climate
Establish procedures for communication between and among the school, home and community
Perform other duties as assigned by the Superintendent and/or Principal