Gravette School District
Position Title: Special Education Bus Aide (.5)
Department: Special Education / Transportation
Reports to: Special Education Director / Director of Transportation
Evaluated by: Special Education Director / Director of Transportation
SUMMARY: To assist in providing safe transportation of special needs students to and from designated locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned. (NOTE: duties may vary according to building level and according to distribution of duties among multiple secretaries.)
- Assists Driver and students in operation of lifts and wheelchairs and assisting disabled students.
- Ability to move or traverse to assist the bus driver in maintaining good student conduct on the bus.
- Secures special equipment that may accompany the student including wheelchairs, car seats, shoulder harnesses and seatbelts.
- Is alert to any conditions in the loading and unloading area which present a danger to students.
- Use appropriate communication, displaying courteous and caring attitude in dealing with students, parents, and other employees
- Assists students with seizures, anxiety, behavioral problems.
- Must have acceptable availability to work and attendance to the job is required.
- Must be able to position self to secure wheelchairs, shoulder harnesses, seat belts, for both child and youth seats.
- Ability to ascend and descend school bus and assists young or disabled students in ascending and descending school bus in an orderly fashion.
- Know evacuation and emergency procedures and be able to perform and/or assist in bus emergency evacuations.
- Assists students with seizures, anxiety, medical and/or behavioral problems.
- Entertain students during long bus rides.
- Maintains student emergency information.
- Participates in required training and in-services.
- Complies with all district policies.
- Lifting above the head is required.
- Responsible for following guidelines outlined in the Transportation Handbook, as well as District guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Attends any required in-services.
- Assists in providing written records of violations of the student code to the Supervisor.
- Performs such other duties and/or functions as assigned and/or deemed necessary by the nature of the work assignments and/or needs of the District.
Training for specialized tasks such as wheelchair safety, operation of lifts, student health care needs, will be provided.
Supervision of students.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma; some college preferred or successfully pass the Paraprofessional Praxis. Must be at least 18 years old.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of people.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Ability to pass a typing test at 55 words per minute. Ability to operate a personal computer and related software. Ability to get along with other people. Patience in dealing with parents and students. Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee occasionally lifts and/or pushes up to 50 lbs. or pull up to 100 pounds such as students or students in wheelchairs. The employee frequently will reach above the head and forward. The employee frequently uses hand strength to grasp equipment or students. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception and peripheral vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in hot temperatures and extreme temperatures below ten degrees and occasionally will walk on slippery/uneven surfaces. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints and interact with public and others. The employee has direct responsibility for the safety and well-being of others. The employee is often exposed to fumes and airborne particles and frequently must work in outside weather. The noise level in the work environment is may be loud to where you have to raise your voice to be heard.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.